Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Shannon's Farewell Luncheon

Finished with one occasion, on to the next! Our next assignment was Shannon's farewell luncheon. This one we found to be exciting because it was a way we could display our love to Shannon. However, we had far less time to prepare and plan than we did for the Sweetheart's Banquet. Immediately we began to formulate an idea. Did we want a tiered cake? Or a sheet cake? We both agreed that a sheet cake would be best. (We made a chocolate cake and a white cake then put them together and decorated it as one big sheet cake.) Did we want to do a Texas theme? (that could have been fun!) Or a more elegant, floral theme? We went with floral.

Then came the cake making night. Or should I say nights! The luncheon was to be on Saturday and it just happened to be on the week of Bible Institute. There went our evenings!! So we planned to bake the cakes on Thursday night and frost them on Friday night. Seemed like a plan!

So usually when you are preparing to make a cake you make sure you have all the ingredients BEFORE you start. That seems to be our weak area. I KNEW we had oil, or so I thought. So here it was, 10:30 pm and I had to run to the store for oil before we could bake our second cake. AHHH talk about frustrating! But we did it! Finishing around 1AM. We also made the flowers with royal icing so we could just stick them on the cake on Friday.

Then came Friday. Bible Institute let out a little early giving us a head start on our decorating. Once again, the weakness came through and we were found at Albertsons buying more powdered sugar and butter. I am sure by now the folks at Albertsons know us very well! Who knows how many bags of powdered sugar we have gone through in the past few months. So we finally make it back to the house. Full speed ahead!! Between the two of us we were able to get the frosting quickly made and onto the cake. About 11PM we had the layer of frosting on and could begin the actual decorating. What a team we made! I think I could still use a little help with my writing :-) The flower unintentionally ended up being a beautiful blue, purple, and white hydrangea!

While we have yet a lot to learn about the art of cake decorating I would say this occasion was another success!

No comments:

Post a Comment